Pages - Menu

Thursday 29 August 2013

Coming to Cinemas: August 2013, Week 5

It was a busy weekend for me last week. Got bored watching Elysium, though I didn't think that I would get so bored watching a two hour extended action-packed sequence from District 9. I watched District 9 the night before and there's so much that is lost in what Neill Blomkamp did in District 9 than what he didn't do in Elysium; a not-bad action movie at best, but a disappointment for Neill Blomkamp.

I didn't let my mood get too ditched up down as I went to see Unbeatable in the evening and while it may not be the perfect MMA movie (it reminds me that I should watch Warrior again), but the performance was unexpectedly good to make me like it in the end, especially Crystal Lee. So, yeah, not an entirely bad weekend spent in the cinema.

For this final week of August, too bad August doesn't start with C for controversy. I'm curious to see what the local media would have to say now that Tanda Putera is officially hitting our screens. Too bad New Village isn't around to be a nice follow-up. Other than that, I'd say be ready for lots of blood, gore and violence and that's a controversial too. Bring it!

Kick-Ass 2

Director: Jeff Wadlow
Cast: Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Chloƫ Grace Moretz, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Jim Carrey, Donald Faison, Robert Emms, Lindy Booth, Daniel Kaluuya, Clark Duke, Augustus Prew, Olga Kurkulina
Running Time: 1 Hour 53 Minutes
Language:: English
Classification: 18
Synopsis: When we last saw junior assassin Hit Girl and young vigilante Kick-Ass, they were trying to live as normal teenagers Mindy and Dave. With graduation looming and uncertain what to do, Dave decides to start the world's first superhero team with Mindy. Unfortunately, when Mindy is busted for sneaking out as Hit Girl, she's forced to retire-leaving her to navigate the terrifying world of high-school mean girls on her own. With no one left to turn to, Dave joins forces with Justice Forever, run by a born-again ex-mobster named Colonel Stars and Stripes. Just as they start to make a real difference on the streets, the world's first super villain, The Mother F%&*^r, assembles his own evil league and puts a plan in motion to make Kick-Ass and Hit Girl pay for what they did to his dad. But there's only one problem with his scheme: If you mess with one member of Justice Forever, you mess with them all.

Trailer Impressions: I would say that part of the reason why the first Kick-Ass became a cult hit was because of little Hit Girl chopping off limbs and made infamous for saying the C-word (it's not cock, don't be cute). But now that Chloe Grace Moretz is no more a little 11 year old, and the progression of their characters have gone down the usual arcs, there's just nothing more to see in terms of its 'originality'. I think this one might come out more subdued for anyone who is expecting more bloody, more gorey and more badmouth action. Not that I can't enjoy a well choreographed onscreen mayhem, but this series has reached a dark spot in its development, so I am not as excited to see this as I would be looking forward more to the threequel to wrap up this whole trilogy. Call this a necessary chore for me to see this.

KL Zombi

Director: Ming Jin
Cast: Zizan Razak, Siti Saleha, Iedil Putra, Zain Hamid, Azhan Rani, Izara Aishah
Running Time: 1 Hour 37 Minutes
Language:: Malay
Classification: U
Synopsis: An adaptation of the FIXI novel "Zombijaya" by Adib Zaini. The novel itself is inspired by AMC's television drama series "The Walking Dead". The film tells the tale of slacker Nipis who becomes a reluctant hero when a zombie outbreak robs him of the only life he knows.

Trailer Impressions: Ok, just based on this trailer alone, I might have face palmed a long time ago as if I haven't seen enough of these trailers of Malaysians trying to imitate something that is just inherently awkward to be put into a Malaysian context. But if there's one thing that makes me not slap on the label of 'Won't Watch' just yet, is because of the FiXi adaptation. I haven't watched Pecah yet, but I'm hearing that this might be the source of imaginative scripts that might Malay movies bearably enjoyable.

Tanda Putera

Director: Datuk Paduka Shuhaimi Baba
Cast: Rusdi Ramli, Zizan Nin, Faezah Elai, Linda Hashim
Running Time: 1 Hour 57 Minutes
Language:: Malay
Classification: P13
Synopsis: A historical film based on true events in Malaysia. It recounts the close friendship between the second Prime Minister, Tun Abdul Razak and his second-in-command, Tun Dr Ismail who are forced to put their personal issues aside and concentrate on restoring the country after the tragedy of 13 May 1969. Tun Razak, who is suffering from leukaemia, hides his illness from his family because he did not want them to be burdened, as well as for the sake of the country. He shares a doctor with Tun Dr Ismail, and the two are treated in the latter's study room by Dr Macpherson in secret. Despite knowing that he will die within two years, Tun Razak is thankful for Tun Dr Ismail, his most trusted, who promised to continue his legacy of rebuilding the country after his death as well as look after his family. But when an unexpected incident strikes that also causes his health to take a turn for the worse, Tun Razak is forced into a race against time to carry out his plans...

Trailer Impressions: I find it strange that when Malaysian filmmakers make a historic movie about our own nation, it always gets bombarded with questions about its authenticity and motives, while we just garble up and believe the depiction of history in other countries without the same scrutiny. Overly delayed and now that power is assuredly in the hands of those who wants where it to be, the urban folks are now allowed to watch this movie later than our countryside countrymen.

I really am trying not to go in with pre-conceived notions about what the political parties are talking about this. I just want to see how solid can we make a historic film and acknowledging that what has happened has happened, and being a neutral observer. I want to see good performance that is inspiring, and not useless rhetoric inserted to insinuate one political (or God forbid, racial) ideology against the other. I think there needs to be some maturity in dealing with our past, and I just damn hope that Tanda Putera (and New Village, for that matter) doesn't show that we are happy to be ignorant hating mobs to generate money in the box office.

FilmBah's Pick of the Week

Well, it's not every week that I get excited to see more local productions than from Hollywood, so it is a good week for me overall. It's really hard to pick, though I can safely say that Kick-Ass 2 is at the bottom of the three because I might just wait for an 'uncensored' version of the movie to be made available, even though I've already read conflicting reviews about our friendly board's hand in it. I guess it comes down to the possibility of whether I want to be mildy laughing or ragingly furious by the end of the show; both prospects which are something that I might want to reserve for buying the DVDs and watching them in my own room, so that no one would be bothered by it.

Oh well, maybe Kick-Ass 2 would just be my answer to having a good time in the end afterall.

If you're wondering why I didn't mention The Big Wedding, We're the Millers or Welcome to the Punch is because I've already seen them. So I would say, 'meh', 'meh', 'I liked this one' in that order. Have fun!

Releases according to CinemaOnline and check your nearest screenings at Showtimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment